Why it is important to align your sales and marketing teams
Technology giant Dell wanted to stand out against competition with a lead nurture strategy that understood the interests of the customers and provided personalized engagement. To achieve high customer engagement, Dell had to ensure that the content was aligned to the customer’s buying cycle. Dell also realized that it needed to align its sales and marketing teams. Once aligned, the results were beyond expectations. Dell’s lead nurture program saw a 35% higher average order value for nurtured contacts versus the non-nurtured ones. Dell also noticed that personalized nurture emails delivered better customer engagement (300%), when compared to the traditional push messages. *
What you just read is one of the many success stories of aligning sales and marketing teams. Digital transformation has played a vital role in creating a unified and personalized customer experience – enhancing customer engagement and leading to a boost in revenue growth. It has helped organizations understand their customers and retain their loyalty. These have been the main drivers that led organizations to take personalized and interactive content seriously, making them monitor the customer’s journey at all phases, to push out personalized content at every phase. This invariably requires the sales and marketing teams to collaborate and stop working in silos.
- 41% of online ads reach the wrong audience
- 70% of content goes unread
However, organizations find it challenging to bring out a collaboration between sales and marketing teams. They face issues such as:
- Poor quality of leads
- Zero-to-low visibility of leads conversion
- Different views of customer activity due to non-integrated technology
- No shared understanding of the buyer’s journey
These issues have created a barrier, discouraging organizations to optimize their sales and marketing teams. Organizations need to overcome these obstacles and ensure these teams collaborate for better results. The alignment of the two teams requires the commitment of sales and marketing leadership, mutual understanding of customer engagement objectives, and an integrated sales and marketing technology.
While the onus lies on the leadership teams to spearhead the collaboration, a tool that can assist them in bridging the sales and marketing teams is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Marketing. It helps marketing and sales teams target the right customers, prioritize leads, automate, and track progress through the buying journey. The collaboration of these teams improves communication and helps them close more deals. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Marketing also helps organizations launch new products successfully, organize events, manage content-based campaigns, and collect effective customer feedback.
With Microsoft Dynamics 365 Marketing organizations can:
- Enhance customer engagement with better coordination. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Marketing enables the marketing teams to build customized nurture programs and out-of-the-box customer journey templates, making campaign execution easy and hassle-free. The sales teams gain real-time visibility of the customer’s activities and understand when they visit landing pages or open certain mails, helping in timely and focused customer engagement.
- Drive focused targeting and prioritize leads. The marketing team can gain a comprehensive understanding of the customer’s behavior and deliver valuable insights to the sales teams. These insights can be used to tailor and create better campaigns.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Marketing comes with a segmentation capability that helps the marketing team filter and target customers based on their behavior/journey. And as different segments behave in different ways, marketing and sales can team up to apply multiple lead scoring models to prioritize leads who are ready to buy.
- Increase the number of leads and revenue generation from marketing. Marketing teams are expected to deliver leads and the sales teams are always pressurized to close these to the greatest extent possible. Microsoft Dynamics 365 Marketing uses a sophisticated web tracking technology to identify anonymous visitors and track them until they become known by way of a marketing page form submission. This contact’s activity is then tracked and can be accessed by the sales and teams to convert this to a lead and later a customer.